Philly Phanatics enjoy a fiesta of Phillies souvenirs, with this Phillies treasure chest collection. Filled with vintage items dating from the 1936-2003, this diverse offering covers a lot of collecting ground with framed displays, hand painted baseballs, publications, postcards, autographs and more. Top honors go to a Cookie Rojas game-used hat, a Ballantine Beer advertising sign and a Phillies Cigars sponsored schedule broadside. Overall condition ranges from excellent down to average, however all items remain pleasing.
c.1963-1969 Cookie Rojas game-used Phillies cap with Wilson factory label securely attached. Size tag is absent. Shows moderate authentic wear and maintains a nice shape, style and make are consistent with the period and the number "16" is written on the underside of the bill, while an embroidered letter "P" on the front retains a strong degree of integrity;
1963 Neon Products Incorporated "Ballantine Beer" bar advertising sign that has been successfully tested to light up when plugged in. Measures 9-1/2 x 25-1/2 x 2-3/4. The upper portion features a pitcher in wind-up mode with the legend "Follow The Philadelphia Phillies On Radio & TV," while the lower portion features the brand name "Ballantine Beer" and the brewery's "3-Ring" logo. Shows moderate wear including a 1-1/2 x 1" section of surface loss at top left and some adhesive residue on the white area;
1956 Phillies Cigars sponsored 14x22 schedule broadside showing moderate corner wear and a 3" tear on the lower left side. Framed to overall dimensions of 35x30 with (2) 8x10 photos of scenes from Connie Mack Stadium;
4/12/36 Attendance receipt on "American Baseball Club of Philadelphia" letterhead in 15x17 framed display. This document is handwritten with stadium rental fees listed and paid for by tenants the Phillies to landlord the Athletics. The page displays in excellent condition with deference to period compacting folds and the frame is appealing;
7/26/51 Signed typed letter on Phillies letterhead and 1951 Phillies score card in 27 x 13-1/2" framed display. The letter is addressed to "Mr. E.R. Bernstein, Sports Director Radio Station KRMD, Shreveport, Louisiana" and it is signed by "Nathan Alexander, Director of Public Relations." All elements of the piece present in excellent condition. Content discusses Phillies owners of the past removing all items from their offices when they left the team and the resulting lack of pre-1943 souvenirs;
c.1990s Connie Mack Stadium limited edition lithograph titled "Remembering 21st & Lehigh" signed by artist Jerome Schmalz and LE numbered "316/750." Framed in excellent condition to overall dimensions of 42x31;
2002 Phillip C. Thompson "Shibe Park - Connie Mack Stadium" 8x5 etching LE numbered "36/150," and framed to overall dimensions of 12x14 with a 1958 Topps card #134 Phillies Team. The etching and frame are in excellent condition, while the card shows moderate wear;
1964 Yearbook "Third Edition" (EX);
(3) Sports Illustrated magazines: (2) 3/70/60 with Phillies art image cover (both EX); 3/1/65 with Bunning and Belinsky cover (VG-EX);
(2) Autographed 1964 Philadelphia Bulletin "Phillies Album" newspaper clipping cards with: Ruben Amaro, Sr. ("8-9"); and Wes Covington ("7-8"), no authentication due to time/cost restraints;
Larry Bowa autographed 8x10 photo ("9", personalized), no authentication due to time/cost restraints;
10/1/70 Connie Mack Stadium final game ticket stub (GD);
Eric Gregg (d.2006) signed ("8-9") Phillies cap with "#7, 2003, N.L. Umpire" inscription on the underside of the bill. The hat shows light overall wear and moderate staining on the interior sweat band; no authentication due to time/cost restraints;
(2) Hand painted baseballs that were caught by 1950s Phillies broadcaster Gene Kelly, both at games in Milwaukee. Both retain vibrant colors and distinct written notations, with: 1.) dated 4/29/54 with Phillies cap and orbiting stars logo on one panel and a baseball diamond on another panel with the names of the players from the day's game who are mostly hold-overs from the "Whiz Kids" team, with Ashburn, Roberts, Ennis, Hamner and Jones; 2.) dated 6/15/55 diamond layout similar to the other ball;
(2) 1980 World Series stadium giveaway replica rings (EX-MT, EX);
(4) 1983 Perez-Steele "Phillies Great Players/Moments" postcard average (EX-MT to NM) with Schmidt, Carlton, McGraw and Bunning/Short/Simmons;
Frames included with lots: while we make every effort to protect the frames included in these lots during pre-auction storage and post-auction shipping, we are not responsible for any damage to the frames themselves, and no refunds will be given due to frame damage.
Due to considerable size and weight, this lot will incur a significant shipping fee.